Title: The Firekeeper's Son
Author: Park, Linda Sue
Illustrator: Downing, Julie
Publisher: Clarion Books, New York 2004
Genre: Historical Fiction
Age Range: grades 2-5
Summary: Sang-hee grew up in Korea in the early 1800s. His father was in charge of lighting a fire on top of the mountain to let the king know that everything was okay. One day his father broke his ankle when he was climbing and his son was in charge of lighting the fire until it healed.
Response: I thought it was interesting that the firekeeper would light a fire on one mountain and then other firekeepers would light their fires so that the king knew everything was okay on the land. I enjoyed reading this book and liked one of the quotes that was in it. "It is good to live in a time of peace." I also felt this book offered good family values. The little boy was worried about his father and ran to help him. In this book the boy and his family were fictional but the actual fires really happened. I would read this book to my class.
No comments:
Post a Comment