Monday, October 19, 2009

Traditional Literature: Multicultural/Caldecott


Title: The Village of Round and Square Houses
Author: Grifalconi, Ann
Illustrator: Grifalconi
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company 1986
Genre: Multicultural Traditional Literature
Age range: K-4
Summary: The book explains what the village is like and how it came about. The grandmother tells a tale about the "mother Naka" who came. All of the homes were covered in ashes. Only one square home and one round home was left. That was the reason that the men and women lived in two different homes.
Response: This book had really awesome illustrations! It made me get a feel for African villages. I thought this was an interesting tale. I think I would have really enjoyed reading it when I was younger, too. This book would be thought provoking for young kids who are learning or who want to learn about Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment